So going to sleep early in Botswana seems to be the way of the land. I have been going to bed around 10.30 most nights just because there is not much to do after that time. I had done the same thing tonight until I listen to Wave Your Flag by K’naan which just evoked enough emotion which I had to write something, anything.
(I will first apologize that this is really long, but I had a lot going through my mind).
Today I had my first class with Batsi, our program director, in which I am the only student who decided to do the optional class. It is about Botswana culture and it is designed to get a more in depth look at the culture while we are here. I figured that is the reason I am here – is to learn about another people and culture – so why would I not take the class. It is nice that it is one on one and we can just talk about anything. Anyways, he gave me a small article to read written by an American girl who studied in Tibet in 2005 and how she felt like it was impossible for Americans to become ‘global citizens’ due to preferential treatment and things of that nature. I had never fully realized that until I read it but it does seem to be true that no matter where Americans go – at least in my own case – they are treated in a much different manner than the local people. As I began to reflect on this point, I realized that in every country I have visited, there has been at least one instance in which it has happened to me. In fact, it has already happened in Botswana. On Saturday night we went to a club for a few friends’ birthdays. The club has a rule that you cannot wear shorts or open toed sandals (for guys). Although a few of the guys were dressed like this we were allowed in while other men dressed in the same fashion were continuously denied admittance. It was nice that we got in and we had a great time, but I hate to think that the only reason it happened was because a) we were American and/or b) we are white. It also brought me back to National Liberation Day in Rwanda (the last day of the genocide in 1994). There were thousands of people packed in the National Stadium who wanted to celebrate another year of liberation. Our group showed up a few hours late because we had had a late night, and while there were thousands of others still trying to get into the stadium, the police would not allow them in. When we showed up, the police opened the gate and allowed us in. Then as we went to find seats, the security created 10 spots for us to sit while they wouldn’t let others in. Once again, it is tough to think that the only reason we got in was because we were white Americans, but it seems that that is the reality. And while that, too, was a great experience it seems like the Rwandese people should have been let in first, because, after all, it is THEIR liberation day – their day to celebrate no fear. Yet we, the Americans, were the ones “celebrating” Rwandan liberation.
And while I am speaking of Rwanda…I don’t know if it was the intense nature of the trip to Rwanda, or the fact that this is now my second time in Africa, but I feel like I learned a lot more and gained a lot more cultural experience in my 3 weeks in Rwanda compared to my first 3 weeks in Botswana. In 3 weeks in Rwanda I felt like I gained a deeper connection with the Rwandese people and a greater understanding of Rwandan history and culture than I have even come close to in Botswana. I am still trying to keep my focus on Botswana rather than comparing everything about it to Rwanda, but there is something about Rwanda that I just cannot let go. I don’t know if it is the people, the history, or the magnificent landscape there. But there is definitely something that will not allow Rwanda to escape me (not that that is a bad thing in any way). After reading an article on CNN which I found on Facebook, by way of Kathryn to OJ (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/01/06/crossing.africa.author/index.html), and hearing what a surprise Rwanda was to author Julian Smith, I almost cried (maybe had a few tears fall). It is incredible that a country which was so torn by tribal rivalry has become one of the most peaceful and stable countries in Africa. Yet we never hear any of the good that comes out of the country. Even to this day, all you hear about Rwanda is about the genocide, or things that have happened “since the genocide.” It is never about the economic or social progress which has been made there. And maybe that is what strengthens the love I have for Rwanda. Knowing that they are the happiest peoples I have ever met, or that they work so hard for so little. I cannot imagine there is a more lovely group of people in the world than the Rwandese. And while reading that article reinforced my desire to work in Africa someday, I think it also showed me that there is something about East Africa, and Rwanda, that I really hold close to me. And I couldn’t tell you what it is if you asked, but I know it’s there. It’s one of those unanswerable life questions which you just have to believe because it is something you feel (almost like Santa Clause, but on a deeper level).
Enough about Rwanda though, I AM in Botswana. Classes have been very interesting. My two psychology classes have been pretty lame so far. Very basic things that I learned in General Psych have been good enough to get me through so far. On the other hand, the Political Science classes have been taught in an entirely different way than I would have expected. My Politics of Poverty in Southern Africa teacher seems to be just throwing propaganda out there when he says that the only cause of poverty in Africa is because of “white settler colonialism.” Honestly, I couldn’t count the amount of times which this exact phrase has been used, but way too much. It is really hard to take this guy seriously as I, along with 5 or 6 other white students, sit there and listen to this guy basically blame ‘us’ for the poverty problem in Africa. The subject is incredibly interesting, but I want to just punch this teacher. My other two poly-sci professors constantly make references to the United States and how this are “perfect” there – the political system, the market, the people (although they will say that the economy has not been so great). And then when they call on me to answer a question and they ask me where I am from and all the students then look at me like, oh well this kid must be really smart or think he is better than us, why is he even here…It is definitely taking some time getting used to, but compared to last week, I feel completely comfortable walking around campus as the only white person for miles.
We are working on putting some small trips together to Victoria Falls, South Africa, and Mozambique. We will see how they work out, but it would be awesome to travel around while I am here.
On a side note, tonight my friend Grady and I practiced with the University of Botswana basketball team and the coach told us to come back whenever we want and that we can absolutely try out for the team. UB is hosting the “Inter-Varsity Games,” in which teams from Botswana, Lesotho, and Swaziland compete, and if we were to make the team we would get to compete. The only drawback is that it is over the semester break and that would be a prime time to travel around…but how many people can say they starred in African basketball??? As of now, while I think it would be super awesome to play in the games, I came here to see the land and people and not play basketball (unless of course my ATM card continues to not work, in which case I won’t have any money to go anywhere and playing basketball during break wouldn’t be such a bad gimmick after all). We’ll see. Looking forward to the weekend and more time here in SUNNY (and hot) Botswana.
No comments:
Post a Comment